LED strip lights have revolutionised the way we light our homes and office spaces thanks to their versatility and eco-friendly benefits; from task lighting to decorative lighting, backlighting to accent lighting. Whether you’re looking for an ambient finish in your living room or some task lighting in your kitchen or office, LED strip lights allow you to transform any space with a stylish, cost-effective lighting solution. As no previous electrical knowledge is required to install LED tape it couldn’t be easier to create the effect you desire, simply follow this guide below.
Choosing your Tape
LED tape is available in a full palette of colours, including RBG colour changing varieties and whitenesses of various “warmths” which is measured in Kelvins. It is also available in different wattages – usually from 5 watts to 25 watts – which determines the brightness of the lights, which is measured in lumens. Visit the led lighting strips category page on our online shop for more information on the different varieties we have available.
LED strips typically have an adhesive backing for easy installation and can easily be cut to various different lengths from their 5 metre reels. When choosing the tape you wish to install it is important to consider the width of the tape if you are using a profile and the number of LEDs per metre – this determines whether the light is evenly dispersed. Although the tapes with a higher number of LEDs per metre are slightly more expensive they do not produce any unwanted spotting effects. The voltage of the tape is also an important factor; be sure you have a compatible power supply. Learn more about drivers and power supplies.
Wiring LED Strip Lights
Installing LED tape is very straightforward and although some basic wiring may be required depending on the type of tape you are installing. We offer four main installation systems here at Ultra LEDs:
The Ready to Connect Range
For those who aren’t confident with some basic wiring we recommend using our Ready to Connect tape. This tape comes with a pre-attached jack that directly plugs into a corresponding driver which is available to purchase at checkout. To shop the range click here
Plug and Play LED Strip Light Kits
Some LED strip lighting is also available to buy in a plug and play kit, with all accessories required included. Shop LED strip kits here.
The Professional OptiProfile Range
The OptiProfile range from Tagra Lighting is part of our Professional range of LED strip tapes. These supreme quality strips feature the highest 95+ CRI for outstanding high definition colour rendering and the innovative Pro Connect installation system for easy use in even the shallowest channels.The new Pro Connect system has been added to this range which makes installation easier than ever before. This simple connector allows you to extend the cable length from the tape to any size you require, without having to do any soldering or having to use additional connectors. These connectors are added to both ends which means you can effectively use 2 lengths of LED if cut down.Shop the Professional OptiProfile range here.
Basic LED Tapes
Most LED strip lights are sold on 5m reels and require some basic wiring. To install LED strip you will need your reel of LED tape, a compatible driver (see our FAQs for more information) and a compatible connector wire.
Step 1: Connect the LED tape to the connector wire by inserting the end of the tape into the clip on the connector wire, being sure to match the red wire with the ‘+’ sign on the tape and the black wire with the ‘-‘ sign.
Step 2: Firmly press the back of the connector clip to close the clasp. You may have to remove some of the backing strip on the adhesive side.
Step 3: Remove the adhesive backing of the tape and press it firmly to stick it to the surface of choice.
Step 4: Connect the other end of the connector cable to the driver.
Step 5: Plug the driver in to the power supply and switch the mains power on.
For more information watch our How To Video Below
RGB LED strip with an LED zone controller
- To install RGB tapes you will need a compatible driver, an RGB connector cable and an RGB controller bundle.
- Step 1: Connect the LED tape to the connector cable by inserting the end of the tape into the clip on the end of the connector cable. Be sure to align the black wire with the ‘+’ symbol on the LED tape.
- Step 2: Firmly press the back of the connector clip to close the clasp. You may have to remove some of the backing strip on the adhesive side.
- Step 3: Connect the other end of the connector wires to the receiver. This is done by inserting the copper end of each wire into the corresponding port as stated on the receiver. The black wire corresponds to the ‘V+’ port, R = red, G = green and B = blue.
- Step 4: Flip the receiver over and secure the wires in place by tightening the screws on the back of the receiver with a screwdriver.
- Step 5: Connect the driver to the other end of the receiver.
- Step 6: Plug the driver in to the mains power supply and switch on.
- Step 7: Within 3 seconds of turning the tape on, press any of the zone keys on the handheld remote controller to pair the controller with the LED tape. The tape will blink to signal a successful pairing. For more information you can watch our “How To” tutorials below: